Excess Services

Questions about Excess Services, please contact Brian Moré at (510) 495-2166,  Todd Anderson at (510) 812-0824 or Anthony De La Torre at (510) 486-4937.

> Visit our Resources & Training page to access our Excess-related Procedures
> Visit the Procurement & Property Forms page to access our Excess-related Forms

Reutilization of Excess Property


GSAXcess is the entry site for the Federal Excess Personal Property Utilization Program (FEDS) and the Federal Surplus Personal Property Donation Program operated by the General Services Administration. Assets listed on GSAXcess (FEDS) are available for redeployment throughout the US Federal government system.

> Go to GSAXcess to create an account and view property available.

DOE Laboratory Equipment Donation Program (LEDP)

The Laboratory Equipment Donation Program (LEDP) was established by the United States Department of Energy (DOE) to grant surplus and available used laboratory equipment to universities and colleges in the United States for use in energy oriented Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) educational programs.

The listing of equipment available through LEDP is updated as new equipment is identified. It is available at no cost for a limited time and is granted on a first-received qualified application basis.

> Visit the DOE LEDP website, and their Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.

To request any assets listed in GSAXcess or LEDP, please contact Todd Anderson (x4938) with the applicable Item Control Number (ICN).

Computers for Learning (CFL)

The CFL program evolved as a guide for implementing Executive Order 12999, Educational Technology: Ensuring Opportunity for all Children in the Next Century. The order encourages agencies, to the extent permitted by law, to transfer computers and related peripheral equipment excess to their needs directly to schools and educational nonprofit organizations. The CFL website allows eligible recipients to view and select the computer equipment that federal agencies have reported as excess (via GSAXcess®)

> Visit the Computers for Learning website, and their Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.

State Agencies for Surplus Property (SASP)

Federal surplus personal property donation programs enable certain nonfederal organizations to obtain property the federal government no longer needs.

> Visit GSA’s SASP page for more information.

Off-site Storage

From time to time, it may be deemed necessary for LBNL/DOE personal property to be placed into controlled storage. Justifications for placing property into storage are: inadequate space on the main site, EHFFP, spares for existing property currently in use, and short-term (less than 12 months).

> Visit our Off-site Storage page for more information

Transportation Services

To have Transportation Services move redeployed property from Excess, a Transportation Authorization Form (TAF) is required. Go to Facilities’ Work Request to schedule transportation.

Important Note: EHS requires that you must certify to the best of your knowledge that the property has not been exposed to hazardous, toxic, or radioactive contamination and all un-encapsulated liquids have been drained. If you cannot certify that the property has not been exposed to hazardous, toxic, or radioactive contamination and/or contains un-encapsulated liquids, contact your ES&H Team. EHS has an online directory for identifying these contacts.

> Visit Facilities’ Transportation Services page


After completing the Federal screening process via GSAXcess, LBNL/DOE surplus property may be sold to the public and Berkeley Lab employees.