Property Management Resources & Training

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Please visit the main Procurement & Property FAQ page for Property Management-related FAQs.

Property Forms

Please visit the main Procurement & Property Forms page for Property Management forms.

Property Training

Please visit our Training page for Property Management-related training resources and information.

Property Policies and Procedures

Property Policy Resources

Personal Property Management Policy Manual
DOE Order 580.1A – Contractor Requirements Document (CRD)
RPM: Policy Area – Property

Property, Excess & Storage Procedures

Property Procedures

Abandonments – Domestic (contact Property Management)
Abandonments – Foreign (contact Property Management)
Administrative Transfers — Incoming
Administrative Transfers — Outgoing
Borrowing Personal Property for Use
Controlled Substance Inventories
Equipment Gift Agreements
Field Tagging
High Risk Property
Loan Agreements — Domestic
Loan Agreements — Foreign
Lost, Damaged, Destroyed and Stolen Property (contact Stephen Lau at 510-495-8005)
Physical Inventories
Precious Metals
Retirement of Personal Property
Subcontracts (GFP/SAP)

Excess Procedures

Excess Process
Sealed Bid Sale
Term Scrap Metal Sale

Off-site Storage Procedures

Controlled Storage

Property Categories & Criteria

Capital Property

Personal property with an original acquisition cost of $500,000 or more are termed Capital Property and are subject to annual inventory requirements.

Controlled Property (a.k.a. Equipment)

Functionally complete, non-expendable assets that retain their identity and are not intended to be incorporated into another asset, plus have an acquisition cost of at least $10,000 and less than $500,000, are termed Controlled Property or Equipment.

Attractive Property

Berkeley Lab has identified laptop-computers, desktop computers, tablets, servers, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and radios as Attractive Property items. Attractive Property items are considered Other Accountable Property and are barcoded and subject to inventory control.

Sensitive Property

Berkeley Lab has prepared a list of personal property items considered to be Sensitive. Sensitive Property is any property that has been determined to be potentially dangerous to public safety or security if stolen, lost or misplaced, or that shall be subject to exceptional physical security protection, control and accountability.

Property Management Glossary of Terms

View our Glossary of Terms for definitions of commonly used property-related terms. For more definitions, see Chapter 24 of the Berkeley Lab Personal Property Policy Manual.

Property Resources

Laptop Protection (Brochure)

Export Control and Compliance

Office of Laboratory Counsel’s Export Control site (login required) provides Berkeley Lab personnel with a concise summary of how Export Control regulations affect research activities, international collaborations, and export-related transactions at Berkeley Lab.

Berkeley Lab Cyber Security – Reporting Lost or Stolen IT Assets

Complete Cyber Security’s Report Lost or Stolen IT Assets Form if you need to report a lost or stolen IT asset (laptop, portable hard drive, desktop computer, etc). For FAQs, training, resources and requirements, please visit Cyber Security.

Management and Control of Cellular & Smart Phones

Effective March 23, 2011, Berkeley Lab cellular & smart phones are managed and controlled via “electronic serial number”. Berkeley Lab’s Telephone Service Center is responsible for management and control (including inventories) of cellular & smart phones.  These phones no longer receive an LBNL/DOE property barcode tag and are not tracked in Sunflower AMS.  Please direct inquiries to Adams Lee (x4966) of Telephone Service Center’s Cellular Services.

Borrow from Supplier (Equipment Loan Agreements)

Berkeley Lab employees may borrow property from vendors or suppliers for testing and evaluation purposes. Contact the Procurement Help Desk for all borrow from vendor or supplier requests.

Gifting Property to Berkeley Lab

Berkeley Lab may not accept an offer of personal property from any entity outside of the “DOE community”.  This type of offer is considered a “gift” to the University of California (Regents) and may be used at Berkeley Lab.  The Innovation and Partnerships Office (IPO) processes all gifts in accordance with University policy and submits documentation to Property Management.  Property gifted to the University is identified as Property of Others. Please visit the Innovation and Partnerships Office (IPO) for more information on gifting.

Property of Others

Property belonging to others is personal property that is in the custody of Berkeley Lab but that Berkeley Lab does not hold title to; it may belong to other DOE contractors, federal agencies, vendors, subcontractors or other entities.  The general rule is that such property will not be barcode tagged, it will be identified with a Property of Others sticker.  The Property Representative for the division with custody of the asset is responsible for applying the Property of Others sticker.

All property belonging to others must be supported by a borrow agreement, lease agreement, subcontract, MOU/MOA or Work For Others Agreement that establishes a formal relationship between Berkeley Lab and other party and defines and limits Berkeley Lab’s liability for the property.  Personal property not supported by such an agreement is prohibited from being brought onto/into Berkeley Lab space.

Receiving Property

Visit Facilities’ Receiving Services for all materials received at Berkeley Lab

Shipping Property

Visit Facilities’ Shipping Services for shipping material from the Laboratory

Login to NETSHIP

Shipping requests must be made through the Netship system by trained requesters.

Repairs and Returns (RTVs)

Contact the Procurement Help Desk for all repairs and returns (RTVs) requests.

Back to TOP